I have always enjoyed the soothing sense I receive when I burn candles. I love the aroma, the flame glowing, the calm it brings. All of that came with a price for me. I would enjoy the candles at home but within minutes get a pounding headache.
I did some digging and realized I may be allergic to the thing that should bring me joy. Turns out the wax used in most store-bought manufactured candles contains paraffin (petroleum) and the fragrance oils contain phthalates.
I spoke to a holistic healthcare provider about how those ingredients may be impacting me physically and she explained that the combination of paraffin and phthalates was likely causing my allergic reaction.
So I decided, why not make them on my own? I can control the ingredients and get exactly what I need without the allergic reaction. I mean, duh.